I have been thinking about all of the things that I have learned through Grandma. She taught me that a woman is a multi-talented being! Through her example, I saw that women can run households, nurse and care for others, manage financial affairs, serve the community, run meetings, be organizers, dig wells, do plumbing/electrical/mechanical repairs, grow and preserve food, tend and process livestock, laugh, think, imagine, create, be strong and self reliant, and connect with others. In short, women are complete, fully capable people!
Life Lessons Learned Through Grandma
- Life is for creating, in all kinds of ways. And having stashes of yarn and fabric is a good thing. 🙂
- Good food feeds the body and soul. Grandma’s homemade noodles, fried chicken, and fried cornmeal mush are my favorites!
- Real life, with all of its ups and downs, is enjoyable. Keep going through tough times (without becoming bitter) and better days will come.
- Family ties are important!
- Connect with a church and think for yourself about what you believe.
- Observe and know what is happening around you. Being a person of few words is just fine.
- Independence is a strength.
- Live long and smile.
Here we are in a picture from earlier this year. Grandma at 93 and me at 52.